Thursday, October 9, 2008

Be At One


Today was Yom Kippur, the high holiday where Jews resolve to be abb next year than we were this year. According to tradition and Wikipedia, "The evening and day of Yom Kippur are set aside for public and private petitions and confessions of guilt. At the end of Yom Kippur, one considers himself absolved by God." We are supposed to fast all day and then celebrate our good fate with bagels and lox and whitefish and more bagels and lox and whitefish. I'm not religious enough to have taken off of work today, but I did fast (90%) and then celebrated my good fate with enough carbs to last me until next year.

Today, I reflected on the past year. I had a lot going on. I married one best friend and painfully said goodbye to another. I know that I will be more than a bit better in life as a result of both events. Jed will hold me accountable as his partner and make sure I keep up my end of the bargain by loving him as much as he loves me. Erin will always be the little bird on my shoulder, giving me strength by whispering " go big or go home." I didn't petition anyone today, nor did I make any huge confessions of guilt. But with the support of Jed and Erin, in addition to the rest of my fabulous network who decided to stick it out despite my lack of social skills, I feel at one with myself and I am ready and willing to try getting back to being abb.

3 comments:

  1. i am glad to have you in my life, not only because you are totally awesome and an insane eye-makeup artist, but also because you always inspire me to be abb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sniff sniff. smile smile. this jew year is gonna be abb.

    ReplyDelete