Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Adventures in Baking

Please join me as I reflect upon my Christmas baking adventures.....



The beginning of a tarte tatin



Puff pastry purchased from Whole Foods. One of these days I swear I am going to make my own.



I don't have a photo of the final product because I burnt the caramel on the apples and it looked like crap. My mom loved it but I think it was just because she could tell I was upset, gotta love moms. However, nothing made with puff pastry tastes THAT bad but things usually taste better not burnt. Note to self; do not attempt trying new recipes on any major holiday. I guess that is basic knowledge but I figured what the hell, why not, I can bake anything! Lets just say this was a humbling experience.



This was my attempt at a vegan pumpkin pie for my dear bro (i roughly followed the recipe). The pie crust was also purchased at Whole Foods but I think it would be interesting to attempt making my own. I'm envisioning a day of crust making...Anywho, the filling tasted wonderful, the coconut milk mixed with the pumpkin and spices really went well together but the sucker did not want to set! I baked it for over an hour and it was still way jiggly in the middle. Jiggly in a way that made my bro roll on the floor laughing. I would have baked the sucker for another hour to see what would happen but the Christmas crowd was restless. So what they got was a vegan pumpkin pudding. At least the vegan liked it.

To end on a good note, I baked these and got positive feedback, thanks to butter purchased here, and I used 11 ounces of chocolate when the recipe called for 8 ounces...hehe.

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to a happy and healthy 2009!!

Next week....pinenut rosemary shortbread cookies

4 comments:

  1. omg. if you actually made puff pastry, i would bow down at your feet. and then eat all of your puff pastry.

    as for pie crusts, the trick is not to let them smell your fear. oh, and really cold butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cold butter is the secret! but i was thinking of making a vegan pie crust from scratch... who doesn't love a challenge?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can eat my puff pastry anytime....ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoops, i didn't see the whole vegan pie crust thing. send some of that my way too when you're done.

    ReplyDelete